Origin Of The Name Print

Loboc or lubok means a deep portion of a river where people go to hide, especially from pirate attack.

The Jesuit priests, Fr. Gabriel six (6) months later, Fr. Juan de Torres entered the Loboc River. He was accompanied by chief Juan Batto of Hinawanan, Loay together with his wife and servants. They anchored at a deep and wide portion of the river.

They were met six (6) local chiefs who were sarcastic and did not want to be Christians. Fr. Torres befriended them by offering food, drinks, and gifts.

After becoming friends, the chiefs decided to help Fr. Torres build a wooden church and convent near the bank of the river.

When the church was finished, it was advocated to St. Peter, the Prince of the Apostles. It was the practice of the priests to use the name of the saint whose feast day falls on the event.

The feast day of St. Peter is June 29. Therefore we can say that the church building was finished on June 29, 1597.

Fr. Torres gathered almost 3,000 Lobocanons to live near and around the church. To maintain order and provide governance, Fr. Torres appointed an Alguacil or constable. There was yet no attempt to Christianized the Lobocanons. The evangelization came later.


There was no law or decree that created the town of Loboc, Bohol. It was only established by Fr. Juan de Torres on June 29, 1597 under the authority of Doña Catalina de Bolaños, the encomiendera assigned for Bohol.

Date established: 1602

Founder: Rev. Fr. Juan de Torres


Location: inland part of Bohol, 24 kms. away from Tagbilaran City. It is bounded by the following:

N - Municipality of Sevilla SW - Municipality of Alburquerque

NE - Municipality of Bilar W - Municipality of Sikatuna

E - Municipality of Lila

Congressional District: 3rd

Income Classification: 4th

Topography: The highest elevation is 428 masl located at Barangay Cambance. Majority of the barangays are within the elevation of 300-350 masl. The lowest portion is in Barangay Canlasid with an elevation of 15 masl. Land formation ranges from level to very steep slopes, majority of which is within the 8-18% slope range or undulating to rolling terrain.

Season: Dry season occurs from January to May. Rainy season is from June to December.

Main Source of Potable Water: Groundwater

Language/Dialect: Binul-anon, Filipino, English

Land Area: 5765.70 has.

Population: 16,299(2007 NSO Census)

Barangays: 28

Distance from Tagbilaran City: 24kms (35 minutes)

Multi-Purpose Cooperatives: 31

Navigable waters (Loboc River):


Docking Port – Busay Falls : 2.85 km.

Docking Port – Loay Bridge : 7.37 km.

Loay(mouth of river) – Busay Falls : 10.22 km.

Ave. width from Canlasid to Busay: 52.2 m.

Ave. depth from Canlasid to Busay:

5.45 m. (High tide)

4.6 m. (Low tide)

School Facilities:

Primary - 5

Elementary - 11

High School - 4 (3 public, 1 private)