Home
Welcome to the Frontpage
Origin Of The Name PDF Print E-mail

Loboc or lubok means a deep portion of a river where people go to hide, especially from pirate attack.

The Jesuit priests, Fr. Gabriel six (6) months later, Fr. Juan de Torres entered the Loboc River. He was accompanied by chief Juan Batto of Hinawanan, Loay together with his wife and servants. They anchored at a deep and wide portion of the river.

They were met six (6) local chiefs who were sarcastic and did not want to be Christians. Fr. Torres befriended them by offering food, drinks, and gifts.

After becoming friends, the chiefs decided to help Fr. Torres build a wooden church and convent near the bank of the river.

When the church was finished, it was advocated to St. Peter, the Prince of the Apostles. It was the practice of the priests to use the name of the saint whose feast day falls on the event.

The feast day of St. Peter is June 29. Therefore we can say that the church building was finished on June 29, 1597.

Fr. Torres gathered almost 3,000 Lobocanons to live near and around the church. To maintain order and provide governance, Fr. Torres appointed an Alguacil or constable. There was yet no attempt to Christianized the Lobocanons. The evangelization came later.

 

There was no law or decree that created the town of Loboc, Bohol. It was only established by Fr. Juan de Torres on June 29, 1597 under the authority of Doña Catalina de Bolaños, the encomiendera assigned for Bohol.

Date established: 1602

Founder: Rev. Fr. Juan de Torres

Read more...
 
<< Start < Prev 1 2 Next > End >>

Page 2 of 2

Polls

Rate This Site
 

Who's Online

We have 9 guests online

Advertisement

Featured Links:
Loboc River Resort
Takes you where Bohol's real excitement is....
2012 GALING POOK
Improving Lives Through Tourism
BOHOL TOUR & PANGLAO TOUR
Get the best tour in BOHOL in affordable package....